Friday, December 7, 2012

A Memory of Dave Brubeck

David Warren Brubeck passed away this week, just shy of his 92nd birthday. Ironically, he died while en route to a doctor appointment. This is sad news because, like many of my peers, Dave Brubeck had influenced our lives. There was just something about his music that gave a sense of meaning that was different.

A friend had invited me to drive to Detroit for a weekend at the University of Detroit. He had a girlfriend there and she had a friend – you get the idea. I was available. Today, there is just one part of that weekend that I remember. It was a beautiful spring weekend in 1965 and the highlight of the weekend was a Saturday evening concert with Dave Brubeck and his quartet opening for Duke Ellington and his orchestra. The drive was just over 250 miles and the accommodations were sparse – I remember sleeping on a bed in an unfinished basement, next to a large furnace. The bed was probably shared as well, but I really don’t remember that detail.

Music was not a big thing in my humble background. My roots were poor, working-class Irish immigrant laborers. There was an RCA Victor radio, record player, and speaker filled cabinet in our living room – but few recordings. Prior to adding a television to the room in the late, mid-50s, the radio was the focal point. We listened to radio shows like Gunsmoke, The Shadow, The Great Gildersleeve, and others. Records were not particularly valued – there simply wasn’t money to purchase this form of entertainment. However, a highlight was an old recording of “Get Along Little Doggies (Yippee Ti Yi Yippee Yippee Yay)” – I can still sing that refrain!

When the television found its way into our lives, one of the early shows that the family enjoyed was “Peter Gunn.” Henry Mancini’s music was my introduction to modern jazz (there was no way that Miles Davis could even be imagined in my life at the time). Mancini was within reach, or so I thought. The very first record album that I ever purchased was an  45 rpm LP album, “Theme to Peter Gunn.” My mother made me return it immediately.

So, in 1965, just prior to being called to the military, it was off to Detroit for a weekend with an unknown young lady from Saginaw. I had no idea what the schedule had in store. Who cared? I was a young man with all the red-blooded impulses that anyone would imagine.

All these years later, there is no way that I can describe the details of that weekend. They have long been lost in the deep recesses of my brain – blocked by the profound experiences of my future. What I do remember, and will never forget, was how impressed I was by that music. Yes, I already knew the music – Duke Ellington, of course. Brubeck too! Remember, I had been listening to the radio. Radio was big in those days – no longer the drama shows of the 40s and 50s, but popular music on the radio was the background accompaniment to my teenage hormonal existence. I was just like everyone else before and after. This was live music though, and I truly felt alive that spring weekend.

What I learned afterward was how influenced Brubeck had been by Ellington. Also, the relationship that the two had and their experiences performing with mixed racial ensembles. In those years, playing college campuses was a major performance outlet. But, there were colleges that would not allow musicians to perform with other musicians that were not of the same race. Brubeck’s quartet might arrive for a gig and find that they would not be allowed to play. Brubeck has told of one such experience when this happened and Ellington, who had been in the same place and available, was able to fill in because he was traveling with an all black band at the time.

Both Ellington and Brubeck were giants in American music and jazz in particular. They were innovative and classy individuals. They represented musicians and their profession from a platform that was elevated by their character and creativity. My accidental witnessing of both in this single concert illustrated to me that the experience of these superstars was accessible at just about any time, and around any corner. This knowledge has been reinforced with many additional experiences in my life. It has been a privilege to have met and witnessed some exceptional individuals – individuals with character, talent, and even some with fame. I never had the opportunity to see Ellington again, but Brubeck remained in his parallel life – until now. It was great to have had him in my world!




No comments:

Post a Comment