Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Surviving the COVID-19 Pandemic (01)


Hunkering Down

We’ve been social distancing for a couple of weeks now. Gradually, by degree we have progressed to “locked down” (but without actually locking doors – well, at least, not all the time as we do go out to walk about now and then). It’s not exactly isolation because so many of our neighbors are doing the same thing and we encounter each other outside. We’ve learned, however, to respect each other’s space. I tend to forget and habitually want to pat someone on the back. Mostly we stand a safe distance and chat.

Much to Do

Each day we always seem to have more to do than there is time or the physical ability to accomplish what we set out to do. Retirement may be leisure for some, but not us. We’ve always heard that leisure time provides the devil opportunities to sweep in and take over our minds and bodies. I’ve never actually seen that, but I’m sure it happens.

We’ve also heard that a leisurely approach to retirement means a shorter retirement – terminating without having achieved anything. This would be intolerable for my culture and generation within that culture. The Protestant Work Ethic has been embedded in our DNA. Without it we would be irresponsible couch potatoes.

Many of us were raised to be overachievers (I don’t exactly know what that means, but that’s what I’ve heard). Anyone who went to school with me knows that I fell way short of any such goal during academic training. Yet, I did successfully work for my self (both the best and worse boss one could have) for most of my adult life.

We may be successfully learning to survive in this coronavirus siege state, and it seems like a good idea to revive this blog and start documenting methodology. How to practice “social distancing?” Surely, I'm as expert as anyone else. Submariners can't look out of windows, but they have shipmates to hang out with. As a veteran of the U.S. Navy, I'm a great choice for a shipmate.

Also, as a curmudgeonly ol’ fart, I actually enjoy my own company – so, isolation is not as great a challenge as it might be. In fact, there are those who prefer that I stay away anyway. After all, as stated above, there is much to do.

So, where does my mind ramble off to while sequestered away from society? How do I cope with the anxiety that accompanies a pandemic? Will there be good news? How great will be the horror?
Social distancing reduces the rate of
disease transmission and can stop an outbreak



No comments:

Post a Comment